Diedre's Match Walk - About Honor Health Research Institute

 

HonorHealth Research Institute is one of the leading early drug development programs in the nation. At any given time, more than 100 oncology trials are typically underway. Most are Phase I or “first in human” studies of new drugs or treatments; in fact, they offer more Phase I clinical trials than any other cancer center in Arizona, and are often the first site in the world to evaluate a new therapy in a Phase I clinical trial.

You might think of a research institute as a sterile environment with quiet nerds working in their laboratory cubicles churning out data.  But if this is happening anywhere in the HHRI facility, none of the patients participating in the clinical trials are aware of it.  The facility is a reflection of the amazing people who work here.

https://wistia.com/about-wistia?utm_type=player&utm_product=host&utm_campaign=songs-about-wistia&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=wistia&about=614539

Dr. Michael Gordon is the director of HHRI, but he’s far more than the brilliant administrator who oversees the success of this operation. His name was first mentioned to me by my surgeon when I asked when I would be seeing an oncologist. The surgeon said he didn’t want me to see just anyone and he happened to know a genius who he thought I should know.

I considered my surgeon to be a genius, so if he was recommending another genius, it was who I wanted as an oncologist. Now almost 6 years later, Dr. Gordon has not only kept me alive, but he’s kept me happy with life. He’s been thoughtful of my wishes, and given me the best that he and research can provide. I couldn’t have asked for a more perfect genius.


Margaux & Dr. G.
Working closely with Dr. Gordon are two other people who have done so much for me medically as well as emotionally.  Susie Harding, MSN, NP-C and Margaux Steinbach, BSN, OCN are Dr. Gordon’s nurses who manage the day to day details of Dr. Gordon’s patients.  I spend 10 – 30 hours a week at HHRI depending on my treatments and side effects.  No matter what, I know they are just a text or phone call away from any help I need day or night.  These women are tireless workers who are so committed to their patients’ well-being.  I don’t know when in my life I have felt as cared for and supported except when I was in my mother’s loving arms.
Susie
And then there is the whole Infusion Team. This group of nurses and technicians manage all the drugs, labs, keep track of vital signs and educate the patients on what treatments we are receiving and what we can expect. They pay close attention to each of us and move quickly and efficiently all while keeping smiles on their faces, encouragement and caring in their tone and remember the details of what each patient needs to be more comfortable. I try to bring them treats whenever I have the energy to make an extra batch of soft pretzels or biscotti. But nothing is enough to thank them all for their commitment and love that they give to their patients.  I am truly blessed to be cared for by this team of heroes.
Sydney

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diedre's Match Walk - About Diedre

Diedre's Match Walk - Sponsorships

Diedre's Match Walk - Register and Donate!