Diedre's Match Walk - About Diedre

About Diedre

I like to think of myself as a woman who defies her age, her disease, and anything that gets in my way of loving people. As is the case for many of you, my favorite quote comes from a movie: 
Love is: Life’s Only Valid Emotion. I believe unconditionally that love is the answer to everything in this life. We need to believe in each other and to love one another.


Born in Minneapolis, MN, I lived most of my adult life in Michigan and then returned to Minnesota in my 40’s where I found my soul mate, Alexx.
 


Lovebirds from the start (we married in 1991), we eventually became
snowbirds, making the move to Arizona where we’ve lived for the last 25 years.





I’m as diversified in my interests as I was in my careers. After 15 years as an educator, I spent another 15 in the corporate world as a sales and marketing executive. The next 15 years were spent in theater and entertainment, ending my career life acting, radio disc jockeying, directing and producing plays that Alexx wrote, and managing a theatre with him that provided entertainment to people in the greater Phoenix area.

In 2013, we began traveling the United States in a 35-foot, Class A recreational vehicle, with our three cats and a desire to see every major league ball park and an equal number of theaters throughout the country. We visited friends in every state, enjoying new adventures everywhere. We kept a blog for friends and family members (Alexander Adventurers), which still exists although the last entry was in 2015. 

The plan was to travel six months every year for 10 years. But on September 10, 2015, our lives turned on a dime when I received a diagnosis of colon cancer in Twin Falls, ID.  A week later, I was back in Scottsdale for surgery to remove two-thirds of my colon, receiving the news that my cancer had already spread to my liver. I was now at stage IV. A Google search showed only 11% of stage IV colon cancer survivors live five years. 

Never one to give up, Alexx and I faced my diagnosis head on. We rallied the help of friends and family and started a blog (Caringbridge.org) to keep everyone informed.  I started six months of chemotherapy and set goals for myself along the way.  I planned to walk my first 5K with Alexx and our San Diego friends at the end of chemo. 


After that I set more walking goals: a 5K to support colon cancer awareness and a 10K to build my stamina, preparing myself to walk the Phoenix Rock and Roll half marathon.  San Diego friend, Sara, and nieces Becca and Nicole from Minneapolis and Milwaukee walked with me. Together we crossed the finish line.  I’ve continued to walk for the Colon Cancer Alliance every year, last year celebrating my 5 year cancer-versary and with great jubilation for breaking the odds of survival. I also raised the most money for this Phoenix event.

In March, 2021, I was experiencing pain in my back and collarbone.
A CT scan showed that my cancer had metastasized to my spine and clavicle.  After a quick review of the web, followed by a candid conversation with Dr. Gordon, I learned that once the cancer spreads to the bones, things tend to move quickly, and time is of the essence.

Over the years, I tried a number of targeted treatments to keep the cancer stable, but now they weren’t doing the job. So on Dr. Gordon’s recommendation, I returned to a similar chemotherapy protocol that I followed five years ago. The hope is to stop further growth and shrink some of the lesions that now cover my lungs, liver, abdomen and bones.  I started this treatment in April, 2021, and will continue it as I summer in MN until September. When I return to AZ in the fall, I hope a clinical trial will be available to continue living long enough to see my entire family of 37 at our five year reunion in August, 2022. 

For me, seeing family together and sharing their love is my greatest happiness.  If I’m able to enjoy this reunion, I will be forever grateful.  If a clinical trial does not happen for me, then this fund raiser will help others who follow me. And THAT is a legacy worth working for.

Diedre’s Match Walk will be my final fundraiser, with a goal to raise $25,000 to launch a new colon cancer clinical trial. I would rather people donate now and not when I’m gone. This project is keeping me focused on the gifts of cancer rather than its destruction.

Yes, cancer does bring gifts, and I have constantly searched for them. I discovered strength I didn’t know I had and shared my discoveries not only through my blog but by working with other cancer survivors I’ve met through the organization A 2nd Act where I’ve volunteered the past 4 years.    My interactions number over 400 people and now I’m reaching out to all of them to find their MATCH and join me in launching a life-saving clinical trial.

I’ve continued to pursue my love of travel and despite the challenges of side effects, I visit friends and loved ones in new and favorite places. In searching for a fitness regimen that my body allows, I found a love for aerial yoga. I still commit to at least two workouts a week and sometimes as many as four even during chemo treatments. I love luring my friends and family into the studio for an upside down moment or two.

Crocheting, movies, audio books, paint-by-number and baking are other pastimes that keep me active and happy when I’m not busy helping other cancer survivors navigate their journey.  

Spending time with my loving and supportive Alexx is the greatest gift I get to cherish each day. These are all things that make my life fulfilling and worthwhile.

My hope is to inspire others to live life to the fullest and to love every day that God gives me.

Comments

  1. Thanks, Ann. Don’t know if anyone else has read it but for those who don’t know me, hopefully this will give them some insight. Love you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Diedre's Match Walk - Sponsorships

Diedre's Match Walk - Register and Donate!